Thursday, September 9, 2010

a stencil bag

the finished bag

Not really a fan of stencils. When I think of them, I think of the little hearts and the country blue ribbons that everyone used to paint on the bulkheads in their kitchens. You know what I'm talking about. But this bag is just way too cool. I can't take credit for it though. Here's where I got the idea. But I'm going to show you how to do it.




You need a paper doily. You can find these with all the cake making stuff at Hobby Lobby or Joann. I found a pack of the bags (they come in 3s) and some fabric paint in the same aisle at Hobby Lobby. You also need some spray glue. I have some quilt basting spray which is esencially spray glue and it worked just fine. Just make sure to spray it all.

IMG_0833


Position your doily where you want it and start painting. It works best if you "pounce" the brush instead of actually trying to brush it on. Make sure that you pull the doily off while the paint is still wet too. Then you need to draw your initial on the bag. I traced around a metal "w" that I have sitting on my desk. It turned out to be the perfect size.

IMG_0839

Then paint it in.

IMG_0840

Like it? Want to make one with me? Come to our MOPS group on Monday, September 13. It's the craft that we are going to do. Click here for some more info on MOPS.

the finished bag

3 comments:

kinze said...

the bag is cute ... but I like your picture in the background!

Jennifer Dell said...

What a cute idea! Wish I could go to the MOPS meeting and make one!

mickev said...

I was thinking I wanted one, then when I read we were doing it at MOPS I was SO EXCITED!! Can't wait!

Related Posts with Thumbnails